[Blindtlk] fw: seeking applicants for the Main Menu team

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sat Dec 24 19:09:04 UTC 2011

Hmmm ... that's interesting. With respect, how can one in one sentence opine
that a conflict is silly while in the very next sentence admit that she/he
doesn't know the differences in outlook, philosophy and policies of the
several organizations? There's certainly no harm in not wishing to know or
care about the differences but that's not the same as asserting that there
are none or that they aren't important.

I will answer Mary or anyone else who wishes to know the differences but in
private email rather than on-list. For one thing, I suspect the subject has
been covered ad nauseum in previous threads and for another, the nature and
scope of the differences could themselves become a matter of unproductive
debate and I have no wish to generate or encourage discussion which usually
ends up generating more heat than light.

I think it is fair to say that the changing environment (for example, the
increasing dominance of technological doodads that the blind cannot easily
access) is resulting in a lessening of differences between NFB and ACB.
However, in my view and, I suspect, in the view of many within ACB, there
are still some fundamental differences in the two organizations' approach to
blindness  implying different ideas as to what the blind need and/or ought
to expect of society and there are also some fundamental differences between
the structures of the two organizations.

For an analogy, consider the Democratic and Republican parties. Both aim to
improve life in the United States but they often have rather diferent
conceptions of the form such improvements should take and who should pay for
them.

Mike Freeman