[Blindtlk] To Cane or Not To Cane?

Mary Mc Gee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 18:55:19 UTC 2011

Dear Jessica;
	From reading the other post, I conclude that you've already gotten
excellent advice.  I have sufficient vision to walk without a cane--with
glasses, that is.  My husband is totally blind.  Neither one of us trusts
sighted people.  We always have a cane handy when we're out and about in
case something happens to me, e.g., what would happen if by some freak
accident my glasses fell off and broke in two?  I went through the Iowa
Orientation Center, so I know how to properly use a cane.  Sometimes I
purposely leave my glasses off and take a walk so I won't lose the skill.
	My advice:  Don't give up the cane for anyone!  If someone can't
accept it, they won't accept you as you are and that's not a good thing.
Sincerely,
Mary L. McGee