[Blindtlk] Introduction.

Mary Mc Gee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 17:05:41 UTC 2011

Dear David;
	Let's see what I've learned from your email address:
There might be a radio or TV station somewhere in there because wcbi could
be a call sign.  K12 might be something to do with a school.  WI means your
somewhere is WI.  Tell me how wrong or right I am.  Are you a teacher in WI
who works at a radio or TV station also?
	Now, about those birds.  I haven't heard that job advertised yet,
but it has security!  After all, there will always be birds leaving
deposits.
	We have birds around our apartment complex too--very large crows who
come for breakfast every morning at dawn.  They gather, have a meeting, then
all fly away together.  They're sure noisy sometimes!  And they leave
deposits!  I'm glad I don't have to be walking under the trees at that time
of day!
	I understand that the Art Center will provide gloves for people and
that's nice.  There was no description of the art, however, for blind
people, until now, unless they have a cell phone.  The reason for this is
because the Art Center has an Audio Tour, which people can access by calling
a number on a cell phone.  Some of us felt a cell phone should not be
necessary, so we arranged to have a Braille transcript made of the Audio
Tour for those who may not have or wish to use a phone.  Of course, we want
the tactile map so we can get the same concept of the design of the park
that sighted people can.  Everyone involved is very enthusiastic about the
project and with good reason.
	I'll ask Peggy and Curtis about the NFB history project.
	As I recall, the manual typewriters at the Braille School were
Royals and we had to learn to set tabs and margins and change ribbons.  The
school also had Hall as well as Perkins Braillers.  Nothing was electric!
I'm glad we now have machines that make us appear to really be accurate by
easily correcting mistakes because that old Correction Tape was a pain! Do
you recall using it?
	Dr. Jernigan was great!  We had our differences, of course, but he
sure taught me a lot!  I have several things I can tell about him, if
anyone's interested, e.g., he showed up at my door one Saturday morning to
take me on a walking tour of downtown Des Moines.  I had been at the
Orientation Center about a week, as I recall.  Am I ever glad I was up and
ready for the day!
	Write Again!
Sincerely,
Mary