[Blindtlk] I wonder if anyone elss who is blind feels like I do

Humberto Avila avila.bert.humberto2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 05:46:43 UTC 2011

Why are sighted people always wanting to look into  a person's eyes when
they are trying to date? I know, well, because they're sighted, and they can
"see." But can a blind person look into a sighted person's eyes? Well, I
can't see, but I will try to use the same body language society wants me to
use (keep my head up, turn to the person I'm talking to, and face people's
direction so as to think that they know that I am paying attention.) The
same way, I can look into my partner when I/she is talking to me. Yet, can a
blind person look into someone else's eyes? In my opinion, yes. Virtually,
because we can do those things I mentioned above.
Anyhow, people that think they need to look into the eyes when dating or
just talking, and if they think just because a blind person can not do that,
they are very ignorant, and it is not acceptable. Can't they just look into
our inside character instead of into our plane eyes? I think the same
concept would apply if I want to date a blind person and I would need her to
"listen to her interesting genuine voice," because if she doesn't have an
"interesting genuine voice," I will not date her.

Sorry for the quite lengthy post, but these are my $0.50 for what it's
worth.
Best,       Humberto