[Blindtlk] looking to purchase a pencil cane tip

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:34:23 UTC 2011

Another thought, you might want to try getting a replacement tip for
your cane that takes the NFB metal tip replacements.  At least
Ambutech and Revolution canes offer this option for sure, and I may
have seen an Advantage cane or two that had them.

Older had a nylon that was tapped and threaded to take a screw-on
metal glide.  These are smaller and therefore less useful than the
NFB tips, and I found they had a tendency to unscrew themselves.  I
can’t recommend them.  The last time I had such a cane, I put a
machine screw into the tapped threads and stuck an NFB tip on that.
It worked well enough.

Anyway, the advantage of the NFB tips is that they’re only $1.50 and
they’re small.  It’s easy to carry a spare (I carry two or three
myself), and nobody who sells canes will mistake what you want when
you ask for an NFB metal tip.

I just looked at http://www.independentliving.com/ and found that ILA
sells "their own" canes, which I recognize to be the new telescopic
NFB canes printed with their logo in just three lengths.  They are
not less expensive than NFB canes, but at least it is nice to know
that there is not yet another cane type (or more importantly cane tip
type) out on the market.

Joseph - KF7QZC