[Blindtlk] FW: [NFB of Nebraska Announce] Arbitrator rules in favor of Christine Boone, former director of Michigan Commission

roberthansen1970 at gmail.com roberthansen1970 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 15:31:11 UTC 2011

-----Forwarded Message-----
Date: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:07:29 am
To: roberthansen1970 at gmail.com
From: "NFB of Nebraska" <info at ne.nfb.org>
Subject: [NFB of Nebraska Announce]  Arbitrator rules in favor of Christine Boone, former director of Michigan Commission

-------- ARBITRATOR RULES IN FAVOR OF CHRISTINE BOONE, FORMER DIRECTOR OF
         MICHIGAN COMMISSION -------------------------------------------------

Many of you may remember the Chris and her family have several ties to us
here in Nebraska; having lived and worked here off and on for the past
several years.

Commission
 From Kalamazoo Gazette

KALAMAZOO -
The former director of the Michigan Commission for the Blind Training Center
here, fired in February, 2010 in a dispute about a marksmanship class offered
to students, should get her job back, with back pay and benefits, a hearing
officer has ruled.

"After careful review of all the facts and circumstances, it is clear that
(former director Christine) Boone performed her work in good faith and with
reasonable diligence," arbitrator Michael P. Long wrote in his ruling, a copy
of which was provided by Boone.

A spokesman for the Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth,
which oversees the training center, said via e-mail Wednesday that the
department had just received the order, had not yet had an opportunity to
review it, and so had no further comment. Boone, 51, said she learned the
news from her lawyer Tuesday that the state labor arbitrator had ruled in her
favor and was "delighted" by the outcome. "I came to Kalamazoo four years to
be the training center's director, and my whole mission, my energy, my time
and my passion was to create an environment where blind people would be
challenged and receive skills they need to enter the work force," she told
the Kalamazoo Gazette today in an interview. "I'm looking forward to having
an opportunity to continue the work I started."

Boone was fired after her boss Patrick Cannon, director of the Michigan
Commission for the Blind in Lansing, became upset to learn of a marksmanship
class being offered at the school, a year-round training facility for blind
adults.In the class, blind students used spring-powered pellet guns to shoot
at targets. Boone said Cannon gave his verbal consent for the class; he
denied that, and said the class violated state safety and firearms rules. At
the arbitration hearing, the record shows, Cannon argued Boone had deceived
him, intending to use the class to embarrass him. "It appears that there may
well have been a misunderstanding or miscommunication between Ms. Boone and
Mr. Cannon," Long wrote. "Ms. Boone believed she had Mr. Cannon's approval
for the marksmanship class, while Mr. Cannon believes he had not approved the
class. ... If one assumes both witnesses are telling the truth, there was
simply a misunderstanding, and not a work rule violation." The arbitrator
said it was clear to all parties that firearms are not allowed on state
property, but less clear that the pellet guns used in class constituted
firearms. He noted that, "Mr. Cannon, after informing Ms. Boone that the
pellet rifles were "firearms," which are not allowed on state property,
ordered Ms. Boone to transport the pellet rifles to his office on state
property in Lansing so that he could examine them."

"It has not been shown that the (Boone) purposely violated any of the rules
or regulations with which she is charged," the finding concludes. "There is
not just cause for discipline or discharge in this matter." Boone, has been
blind since birth. She was hired as Director of the Michigan Training Center
for the Blind in October, 2006 by the Michigan Commission for the Blind.

Best Regards,
J.J. Meddaugh
A T Guys
Your Assistive Technology Experts