[Blindtlk] The Dog Dilemma

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:25:54 UTC 2011

Dave said,

> Nobody cries when you break a cane.

Dave’s generally right.  My cane is a tool.  A dog, though, would be
a companion.  And while I could joke about how it nearly did bring me
to tears to have both my rigid cane and its backup telescopic broken
in the same day especially now, the fact is that if I replace them
then it would be as if nothing went wrong.

Losing a guide dog would be a lot harder to accept, really.  New
canes are just money, but a new dog?

And no, the runner who stomped my rigid cane didn’t even stop
running, just halfheartedly said, "sorry," and kept on going.  That,
folks, is why I carry a telescopic as well as my rigid cane.  It’s
also why a guide dog user should carry one too.  You never know
what’s going to happen.

I also carry a roll of duct tape and a couple of cane tips in the
event that those can be used.  Thankfully so, since the former fixed
the backup cane long enough for … well, I’m still using it (I haven’t
got any other at this point.)

Joseph