[Blindtlk] The Dog Dilemma

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 22 17:36:51 UTC 2011

Dear Nikki,

Some schools are wary of Blind people who seem to have "too much" vision,
but most are not.
The worry is they are giving a $60,000.00 dog to someone who is really after
a well trained pet or status symbol or "chick magnet
There is also the worry that you will not truly learn to trust the dog as it
leads you around, there by breaking down its training, which leads to
problems and a dog that can not be given easily to someone else who truly
needs it.
All good Guide Dog schools require that the blind person already have
Orientation and Mobility skills, with a cane, before they can get a dog.
If you are still interested in getting a guide Dog, check out the schools
that will be at the Convention.  "Seeing Eye" will be there along with
Southeast and others.  They will have some dogs to "test drive" and get a
feel for how they work and there will be over 250 guide dog users there to
ask.
I was a cane user for about twenty years and thought I would try a dog.
I got my drop dead gorgeous Goldador named Jack, from Southeast Guide Dogs
here in Florida.
You do not pay for the dog and if coming from out of state, your
transportation cost and room and board are all covered by the guide dog
school.
You need to come for 27 days of training and stay in a great dorm room and
meet allot of great people and dogs.
I got Jack a little over a year and a half ago and he is great.  I love him
to death.
He also gets right along with my other 3 dogs, including our Red nose
Pit-bull "Buddy" which is his best playmate.
The first dog school I applied to was very judgmental about placing a guide
dog in a house with a pit bull and would never get off the fence and make a
commitment.  Southeast, sent out one of their trainers to "interview" my
other 3 dogs to see if there would be a problem.  They came to my house and
reasoned that there was no problem and I went to Southeast a month later.
Jack and I go everywhere together, on Public Transit, the Tri-Rail,
Greyhound buses, the malls, to work and even trips to lobby the state
legislature .
I even use him as a training tool with training Para-transit and fixed route
bus drivers about service animals.  He has even come to the hospital twice
with me when I was mending after surgery.
I have had no problems with Jack and he is a great dog and travel companion.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.