[Blindtlk] Fired up and cooking now

Cindy Handel cindy425 at verizon.net
Sat Jun 25 16:52:37 UTC 2011

Hi Jim,

I don't know, specifically, where you can get the baskets for grilling.
But, I've gotten them in the grocery store.  I'm sure you could also find
such things in a place like K-Mart.  I've used the baskets to turn burgers.
It does make it a little easier, especially if the burger tends to fall
apart when turning.

You should also have some grill tools, like a spatula, tongs and a fork with
long handles.  This will help you turn the food without getting your hand
extremely close to the fire.

As far as clean up, you could spray your grill with cooking spray.  They
make cooking sprays especially for grills.  This is supposed to help with
clean up.  Personally, I think it's harder, because you have the greasy
feeling of the cooking spray to wash off.  Now, this may sound a little odd,
but my dad told me about it and it really works.  After you finish cooking
and the grill is cool, place the rack in the grass overnight.  In the
morning, bring it in the house and wash it.  I'm not exactly sure what
causes the change, but it's a lot easier to clean after doing this.

Here's a tip, for things like steak or chops, cook them on high heat for two
minutes each side.  Then, turn the fire down to medium and finish cooking.
This will keep the meat moist on the inside.  I usually cook burgers for
about five to six minutes a side.  Steaks, depending on the thickness and
how down you like them, I do for about 7 minutes per side, after searing
them for two minutes each side, on high.

Hope this helps.

Cindy