[Blindtlk] To Cane or Not To Cane?

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 1 13:59:06 UTC 2011

All,
I think Gary Wonder's exhortation to avoid getting stuck in the sticks is
super important.  I, too, have seen it happen to many blind people.  They
say it's just transitional, or they think they can make it work, but really
they often become prisoners of their home, and of their significant other's
car.  I've seen a few people make it work, and be truly happy and
independent, but they are few.
It's hard, though, because in many cities the closer you are to good public
transit, the more expensive it is to live.  Of course not having a car can
ameliorate this differential, but if you have a sighted spouse with a car,
this makes it more of a challenge to balance expenses.  I would suggest in
such situations that the sighted, driving spouse, consider not having a
car... You can always rent one if you need to drive somewhere.
Just some thoughts.

Brian Miller