[Blindtlk] the meaning of confidence

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Tue Mar 1 14:02:33 UTC 2011

I've noticed that often we toss out the word "confidence" in our discussions, but I often wonder what exactly is "confidence"?

I've read promotional material for guide dog schools that tell you if you get a guide dog you'll increase your confidence and independence.  I've seen claims that if you have good blindness skills, you'll be confident.  Jeeze, I've even seen deodorant commercials claiming increased confidence if you use their product. *smile*

But if it was that easy wouldn't we all be confident people?  We aren't and even those who claim a strong level of confidence still have moments of insecurity.  What then is confidence and where does it come from?

I would assert that confidence comes from within.  It isn't based on a cane or a dog or a certain number of skills attained.  I believe it is an attitude, an inner knowing.  It is being comfortable in your own skin.   I don't think there is anything or anyone that can give us confidence.  I believe that it is something we must claim for ourselves.

Certainly there are extrinsic circumstances that assist us on the road to claiming confidence for ourselves, like good cane skills or a guide dog, but I do not believe that those things *give* us anything, except for perhaps the opportunity for self discovery.

Thoughts?
Julie