[Blindtlk] To Cane or Not To Cane?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Mar 1 15:03:14 UTC 2011

Jessica,

Since I wrote in another note a good deal about how one can maintain some independence while hanging on to the arm of another, I just felt I had to write
after seeing your note below.  I believe that you are correct that using a cane while taking the arm of another, especially someone who is sighted, is still not
quite the same as walking alone.  There is at some level the knowledge that you won't, for example, make a wrong turn or get lost.  You might well both get
lost.  In a store, locating things visually such as a staff person to ask questions and other points of interest is going to usually be done by the sighted person.
If you walk through a given area with someone else and you then later do it alone, you will generally find that it seems less familiar to you than it did when
you were walking with the other person, because when you are walking alone you become aware of things that you subconsciously left to the other person.

On the other hand, it is going to be difficult for someone who cares about you to handle the dirty looks.  I must also admit that I am less comfortable carrying
on a loud conversation to keep track of the other person or have them giving me directions from somewhere ahead.  That may be just me, though, and I
know that there are people who are fine with doing that.

Still, to me, independence is very important.  I think independence probably is more important to some of us than to others, but clearly it is important to you.
It seems clear to me that you have an understanding of the issue and that you even have an understanding of where John is coming from.  It is going to be
very important that you explore this issue with John to try to find a comfort zone.  It sounds as though you already are using your cane when you take his
arm, so my perspective on that expressed in a previous note was likely old news.  I'm glad of that because using a cane while traveling with someone else is
not something everyone considers, and it does help.  It also sounds to me as though John as some understanding of your need to travel independently.
Maybe what might help would be to look for the times that seem to be most uncomfortable for him and walking with him during  some of those times.  In order
to try to keep your skills and your confidence up, make a point to occasionally travel through those same places alone, either with him but separately or
maybe just go there alone.  If there is no public transportation, have him drop you off while he runs another errand or something.

There is not going to be one way to handle this for everybody.  People are different and even situations are different.  For example, where I work, I have to
go to a number of different rooms within a four building complex.  I know it pretty well.  Sometimes, I attend a meeting with another co-worker, and it is
common for co-workers to discuss the upcoming meeting during the five minutes they spend walking to the meeting room.  At least for me, it seems to make
sense to use my cane and take my co-workers arm so that I can concentrate on discussing the meeting rather than keeping track of them.  On the other
hand, I often attend meetings where I am the only representative of my area.  I therefore often go to the same meeting locations alone, so my confidence
that I can get there is constantly being reinforced.  There have been times when I have felt it was important for those with whom I was meeting for the first
time to see me traveling independently.  In such a case, I might leave my desk early and perhaps run an errand of my own before the meeting to insure that I
would arrive alone and independently.  My point here is that I think the ability to travel independently is a skill that needs to be constantly built and
reinforced.  Ballancing this with how we interact with others is also a challenge at times.  It seems fair to say that there are times when all of us probably take
the arm of someone else for any number of reasons.  Doing that occasionally isn't going to destroy your travel skills as long as you are doing it for some other
reason and you know that you could travel the same route independently.  On the other hand, having a pattern of taking someone's arm such as when you
are in a relationship could, in my opinion, affect your travel skills if you don't build in some safeguards, so I applaud your for thinking about this.  There can
be joy and comfort in walking hand in hand with someone with whom you share mutual love, and I wouldn't want you to feel you need to forgo all of that,
and it may be something John needs, but I think this whole issue of indepencence and figuring out when to seek help and when to go it alone is something
with which we must all deal and that it is too often swept under the rug so to speak.  We do have an obligation to consider the feelings of others, especially
those who are close to us, but we also have to figure out what works best for us.  It's not always an easy line to follow, but you are going to walk this line
more successfully because you are thinking about it.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 21:16:21 -0600, Jessica Kostiw wrote:

>Hello List,
>	I appreciate the amount of discussion and feedback that this topic
>has generated.  This is why I am a member of the NFB!  When we all have
>those every day quandaries, it is easy to get a number of opinions, ideas,
>and suggestions.

>I haven't finished reading through all the messages yet, but I think I
>should clarify some.  Jon doesn't care that I bring my cane, he even
>encourages it.  Our issue is that when we are walking I worry that if I am
>always taking his elbow than I am not practicing cane travel.  At centers
>like Louisiana, Minnesota, and Colorado you are around other blind people
>24/7.  In the real world, however, the majority of time is spent with
>sighted people.  If you constently say "Oh, I'll just take your arm" than
>aren't you eventually going to lose the structure discovery that you learned
>at the center?  Won't confidence weign?  How do you strike a balance?
>Jessica

>>> http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindtlk_nfbnet.org/lucas.bonni
>>> e%40gma
>>> il.com