[Blindtlk] Responses of Medical Professionals.

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu Mar 3 14:05:31 UTC 2011

When I was a kid in Oregon, most blind children were treated at the University of Oregon Medical School. Being an RLF (now ROP, nothing's changed but the initials) child, all the interns took a look at me. Looking back, I don't remember any of them introducing themselves, but they sure loved working with the pressure gage and the slit lamp.

My best medical story, though, comes from eye surgery in the seventies. I was in the hospital after surgery, and was getting my first real meal. I know that there was something on my chart that said I was blind, since, after all, the bandages over the eyes wouldn't give any clue. The service staff came in, and put the food tray on the table over the bed, and I thanked her, assuming our interaction was done. She looked at me, looked at my wife who was in the room, and turned the tray 180 degrees. I thanked her again. She looked back at me, back at my wife and turned it again. After the third iteration, I confess I lost my patience and asked if I was just supposed to use a fork to stab something as it went by.

It's funny now, but frustrating then.