[Blindtlk] Cane suggestions needed please!

Robert J Smith rsmith247 at csc.com
Mon Mar 14 11:25:30 UTC 2011

Hi Pastor Kelm -- Bob Smith here.  I have been using telescoping canes now
for probably about four years so I consider myself to have a deasent store
of knowledge about their habbits, you might say.  I like them very much,
not because I'm ashamed of either my cane or my blindness, but I love the
concept of something collapsing into itself to about a length of a foot or
less.  All the sections are inside of the main section so you just have
the thickness of the thickest main section instead of four sections in a
folded bundle, a vast improvement for storage.

They are very light and don't ever tire your wrist out even if you are
walking fast and swinging quickly.  You can also feel sidewalk textures
better than you can with a thicker, heavier folding cane with a cable
which helps.  I was even able to get through the past Indianapolis winter
with mine quite well.  Also, another benefit to the cane being lighter is
that in my experience, the metal tip lasts a lot longer than it did on my
heavier fibor glass folding cane.  And, of course, the carbon fibor
telescoping cane never bends or wiggles when it is pulled tight.  The
current telescoping cane I have has a chain which you can use to hang it
on things, including your belt by opening the chain's locking joint.  This
is very handy when you are holding someone's arm and still need to carry
something in your other hand but don't want the cane to slip out from
under your arm and fall on the ground.

Now, being fair, there are two things that I had to learn to cope with.
First of all, I have a spare telescoping cane that I use in case my main
one gets broken, and I always will.  On both my canes, there is a rubber
fitting that sits on the bottom section just above the metal tip.  This is
used to keep the bottom most section inside the cane so that it and the
other sections won't fall out when you pick it up tip down.  On one cane,
the rubber fitting wore out due to friction against the inside of the main
section when I would pull the cane out.  The fitting on the other one
totally cracked so I took it off.  Fortunately, I can push the rubber part
of the metal tip into the main section when I am collapsing the cane and
that fits snugly enough to keep the cane collapsed.

Second, in the colder months, the bottom most section collapses into the
section above after the cane cools down a ways and I have to pull it back
out.  I only have to do this once though and then it never goes back in
while I'm walking.  It is very easy to tell when a section is collapsed
while you are walking, the cane sort of gives a mushy feel instead of a
nice solid one when it's tight.  You don't have to really jerk it out
either, just kind of a middle strength pull.  I'm stubborn though and
choose to deal with these so-called habits anyway.  I will probably get
this kind of cane for the rest of my life, because they feel that much
better and are that much more convenient than a four section bundle-type
folding cane.  If you want more advice, feel free to email off list.

Bob Smith