[Blindtlk] Visio

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Mar 17 19:09:03 UTC 2011

Jessica,

This is a tough one.  There are two factors that seem significant to me.  First, whether you are a government employee or an employee of a private firm that
contracts with the government makes some different.  As a government employee, you would be in a position to probably work out some alternatives.  The
second factor is what role does Visio actually play, and you may not know the answer.  If it is a small role, you might be able to work something out even
hiring a reader for a few hours a month until you figure out other ways of dealing with it.  If your job is to be a project documenter who documents multiple
projects using Visio fulltime, this might not be a very good fit.

It is my understanding that more has been done in Visio 2010 to make it somewhat useable, but I have very little exposure to Visio and don't know if that is
the case.  Whenever one goes into a job, though, there are things one has to work out.  Sometimes you have to just go into it figuring that you will work
something out even if you don't have the answers now.  For one thing, being in the job gives you the best chance to really understand the role of Visio.
Knowing what you understand the job to be might help us understand the likely role of Visio better.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson