[Blindtlk] Paratransit Vs. fixed Routes

Marsha Drenth marsha.drenth at gmail.com
Mon May 2 20:03:04 UTC 2011

All,

First and formost, I know the topic was brought up for those who are normal
blind folks, not those with additional disabilities. But as one of those
people, I must say something.As a Federationist, for my entire life, I will
not stand for the holy than thou crap! Great you can take the fixed route
buses, great you live in an area to which you can use those tools. Have you
holy than thou folks, ever thought that some of us, who have additional
disabilities can not use fixed route systems? Has that ever occurred to you?
Probably not. So what I use the paratransit. Does that bother you? No it
should not. But you look down upon those of who do for reasons we can not
help. Also take into consideration, that I live in a county with no fixed
routes. Yes I have hired drivers, yes I trade and give things to others for
rides. But when I must get some place, like school, I have to use what I
have. I am hearing impaired, hard of hearing, whatever you want to call me.
Also blind, totally blind. God forbid one day some of you folks ever loose
your hearing, or something else worse. Come on folks, don't judge other
blind people. I don't judge you. And NFB'ers wonder why people think we are
so militant, it's the holy than thou crap!

Back into my hole, where I am happy to say I am different.

marsha