[Blindtlk] Blindness Misperceptions from kids

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Mon May 2 22:28:36 UTC 2011

Dianne,

Oh yeah, we were using canes! They were, as you said, leaving
themselves subject for some major lawsuits already, and it would
be even worse if they didn't give the kids canes.  Now just a
FYI, the NFB sponsored this camp, not knowing what BISM, the
organization that ran the camp, was doing when I went to the
camp.  However, that changed when my friend's mom who was, and
still is president of the Maryland Association of Parents of
Blind Children (her name is Susan Polansky, don't know if you
would know her) mentioned what they were doing at the state
convention where Dr.  Maurer was present.  So, the Federation
basically told them that if they didn't change their policies,
they would lose the NFB's sponsorship.  My friend, who happens to
be Susan's son Jason, still goes to that camp, which has now
moved to the Eastern shore of Maryland.  He says that now, they
first have a mandatory O and M lesson where they orient the kids
to the building before the rest of camp starts.  I don't go to
this camp anymore and wouldn't choose to anyway.  But at least
they changed their policies once they moved to the Eastern shore.
Chris Nusbaum