[Blindtlk] what is Federationism

Ron Poire rpoire at comcast.net
Thu May 5 02:50:39 UTC 2011

Hi Chris,
I'm surprised more people haven't replied to your message.
In my mind, federationism and the philosophy of the NFB are pretty much the
same. I wouldn't know where to draw any line between the two. The philosophy
of the organisation, can be found in all of the speeches given and
literature written by us about blindness.
The idea of federationism is the life you live as a result of beeing exposed
to the ideas portrayed in our literature. To live as a federationist, means
not letting blindness hold you back from doing something like grilling,
going some place you've not gone before, or even participating in a myriad
of activities one can think of. One develops the heart of a federationist by
allowing the exposure to various writings to change how you think about
yourself as a bline person . I may decide, for other practical reasons that
I didn't want to make that trip, as it would keep me from something I
thought was more important.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Ron