[Blindtlk] To Drive or not to Drive: that is the question

Mary Mc Gee mmcatitude at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:45:28 UTC 2011

Dear All;
	I want to drive because, yes, it would give me more opportunities
and more freedom.  I know I would have more work if I could drive wherever I
wanted.  I know I would have more freedom because, if I could drive, I'd
have an unlimited choice of activities and time to do them, i.e., I wouldn't
have to do all the careful planning I do now to work around available
transportation.  I also know that I wouldn't live where I live if I could
drive; I must live near all the bus stops instead of in the suburbs where
there aren't many bus stops.  There are many, many things I'd do if I had
ready transportation whenever I wanted it.  And, just for the record, I'd be
willing to pay for the car, its insurance, its maintenance, etc. because the
freedom would be well worth it to me.  I realize no everyone feels that way
and I respect that, but, for me, driving would indeed make life easier!
	Someone mentioned what do you do when you don't have transit or
other transportation in your area; you have to go where the transportation
is, pure and simple.  It isn't fair, but, as yet, it's the way it is.
	Someday someone with poor or no vision will drive, but that isn't
the case now.  I believe we're fortunate we have the tech devices that we
have because, when I was young, 50 years ago, my life was considered of
little value and nothing was expected because I couldn't see.  I was even
taught to expect less of life than "regular people".  How wrong that
assumption was!