[Blindtlk] Paratransit vs. Fixed Route.

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Fri May 6 01:49:16 UTC 2011

Dear Sir,

If that is true, they need to be sued and have the DOJ and DOT brought down
on their heads.  I did this here in Palm Beach County some years ago and I
even got two executive directors of Palm Tran fired and replaced.
They lied to us in the first few years after the ADA was passed.
They were able to get away with this because , WE did not know the ADA and
neither did the county Commissioners.  They relied upon the directors to
know and just hid behind their shield of professionalism.
I, and some others, educated ourselves about the ADA and what was required.
We then began calling their bluff and even filed charges with the DOT.  We
were right and changes began to happen.
If your local fixed route bus system can serve the Public every day, then
the Para-transit service should be able to provide next day services too.
You should not have to make all of your trips 3 or 4 days in advance.  That
is outrages.
There are rules for Para-transit also as to service delivery too.
I know how it works and what I can expect from my service.  They
have "on time" requirement just the same as one would expect from the fixed
route system.  The fixed route has time transfers because people must meet
other bus and forms of transport on a timely basis.  So must the
Para-transit service.

You make your trip arrangements based on when you must be some where.  They
are in a sense making a verbal contract with you to pick you up and get you
to a place at or before a certain time.  If they are not doing this
consistently, they are in violation and must correct this a very timely
manner or face loss of federal funds.
That is why the county gets a little nervous when I an other transit
advocates begin showing up at county commission meetings.  They have learned
to respect us and listen to us.
We do not always get everything we want, but we get heard and they know what
we want.We know that there are limits on funding, but we work with them to
get the most bang for the buck we can and we have their respect.
My NFB chapter took on transportation as a cause back in the 1990's and we
have made a difference in our service.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.----- Original Message -----