[Blindtlk] trailing with your hand or with your cane

Robert J Smith rsmith247 at csc.com
Thu May 12 15:27:14 UTC 2011

Hi all.  My belief is that if you move your hand along a wall at your side
versus sliding your cane tip along a wall, it makes no difference.  They
both will be noticed whether we like it or not.  I believe that people
will notice anything we do that they don't do and that one thing is no
more likely to get noticed than another.  You might keep in mind that if
you walk fast and trail, you run somewhat of a risk of banging your arm
into something that would be sticking out.

One example of being noticed no matter what, happened to me very recently.
 I was walking to my bus stop.  On the way to the stop there are numerous
driveways with a very slight drop-off to the street at the bottom of their
slopes.  I check the drop-offs with one foot and my cane to make certain
where the intersecting street is so I can turn left off the street I'm
walking along and go west one street where the bus stop is.  On this
particular day, I had found the intersecting street, crossed the street I
was walking along and headed west to the bus stop.  About two or three
minutes later, a man and woman came along.  She asked me if I was alright
because she said that she had seen me almost trip.  I was so surprised
that I didn't know what she meant at first.  I told her that I was fine,
just waiting for a bus.  As I thought about it after she left, I realized
that she had probably seen me dip down as I went across the slopes of a
couple driveways, as well as putting my foot out to test for the slight
drop-off and then bring it back again.  I was nowhere near tripping
though, hadn't even been anywhere close to pitching forward, just checking
things out.  I'd rather risk looking a little conspicuous though than die,
as the street I turn down to go to the bus stop is very busy with no
light.  So, in summary, try to be as inconspicuous as possible and when
you honestly can't that's the way things go and so be it.

Bob Smith