[Blindtlk] dating sighted people Vs. Blind people?

Nikki Wunderlich nikki0222 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 22:16:13 UTC 2011

Well said!!

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Jeanette Fortin
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:08 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] dating sighted people Vs. Blind people?

I've been reading these posts and will say that having been married to a
sighted person and then to a blind person, the issues we had had nothing to
do with my being blind.  people are people, i think my blindness is no
different than the fact that i hav blonde hair and green eyes, most of the
dating i have done before i was married the second time and now that i am
single has been what i would consider pretty typical of anyone dating.  i
think the older we get the harder it is to find decent folks to date, just
my experience as well as several  of my women friends my age, blindness is
not a huge issue other than one of my friends says a guy she met told a
friend of hers thathe couldn't imagine having to  date a blind woman when
there are so many sighted women in their 50's to pick from, hum,
interesting, probably not the kind of guy she'd like to date anyway.
 at any rate, i don't make a big deal out of being blind, just who i am,
most folks except me for who i am and don't really find my blindness to be a

big deal.  i think sometimes, just my experience, that blind folks make a
bigger deal out of being blind than others do, some folks carry on about how

independant they are to the degree that it turns folks off, we are just
folks who can't see, nothing more.  i know folks wioll disagree with me, but

i think living out our independance is much more effective than announcing
it all over the place. jeanette