[Blindtlk] nfb and southwest

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Fri May 27 16:08:55 UTC 2011

Good morning everyone,

Their horrendous treatment of passengers with special needs goes beyond the
accessibility of their Web Site.     In addition to the blind large
passengers know this all too well!Yours truly knows this from personal
experience. I'm mentioning this issue as it illustrates a pattern of
behavior by Southwest and other airlines.

    Just a word to the wise. Whenever a passenger receives less than
favorable treatment by this airline they have a crafty way of telling
disgruntled fliers to "Sit down and shut up" by issuing them vouchers for
free travel! My advice, don't fall for his crap!Other airlines did this
whenever blind passengers were mistreated by giving them vouchers for free
travel. Fortunately the NFB told them that this stuff wouldn't fix the
problem and Southwest needs to hear the same message. We once sued them for
$10,000,000 due to their mistreatment of a passenger with a guide dog back
in the early 1970s.

    Southwest believes that issuing passengers vouchers for free travel is a
way for them to "Make it right" so they can continue to do their "Dirty
work." If you asked me this is nothing but a form of appeasement and
absolute horsepuckey! If Southwest and other airlines can afford to give
away free travel to discontented passengers they can afford to make their
Web site accessible, implement better cargo handling procedures to prevent
damage to sensitive items such as professional recording equipment, install
wider seats on their planes (Especially the new aircraft they currently have
on order and those they will obtain due to their merger with Airtran),work
with organizations such as the NFB to insure that their personnel know the
best ways to assist blind passengers, the list goes on.

    Again if anyone experiences ill treatment by Southwest or any airline
and is told to "Sit down and shut up" in the form of the issuance of
vouchers for free flights don't fall for it! Let them know that you will
only consider them having "Made things right" with you by their doing
nothing less than fixing the problem that caused your dissatisfaction with
them in the first place.

    By the way the line "Sit down and shut up" comes from Dr. Maurer. He
gave a speech in 1986 in which he repeated it over and over again.

Peter Donahue whose fuze from mistreatment by Southwest Airlines two years
ago is still lit and who is not looking forward to having to fly with them
again.