[Blindtlk] Home Management Skills

Kelby Carlson kelbycarlson at usfamily.net
Fri May 27 19:36:13 UTC 2011

Hey, everybody.

What I'm about to ask is probably going to sound hopelessly
vague, so it's okay if you can't answer it easily.  I'm about to
graduate my high school and want to assess myself before college.
Right now I'm thinking specifically of general "life skills" or
as my vision program calls them "independent living skills".  I
can do a lot of basic things: grooming, folding money, getting
myself meals (although our oven isn't brailled so it's usually
the microwave), do the dishes, vacuum, do laundry, etc.  Now some
of these skills aren't used a lot (my mom does most of the
family's laudry) but I don't doubt they'll get better in college.
What are some of the basic things I should know about or know how
to do, and should my parents be able to teach them to me? (My
parents have very high expectations of me and know how to equip
me with skills.) Any general suggestions here would be
appreciated.