[Blindtlk] Home Management Skills

Julie J julielj at neb.rr.com
Fri May 27 22:16:51 UTC 2011

If your going to be living in a dormitory with a cafeteria, I wouldn't worry
so much about cooking.  Here's a list of things that just popped into my
head.  It's long, because it's raining and I haven't much to do! *smile*

identify and match clothes
sort clothes for washing
operate washer and dryer
fold and put away clothes
manage any medications, including administering, and refilling the
prescription
making a bed, if you find this important *smile*
keeping an appointment calendar
manage print mail
pay bills
keep a checking account balanced
write out checks
sign name
shop for incidental items, snacks, toothpaste etc.
manage cash
use an ATM
label household items used infrequently, aspirin, cough syrup, etc.
make minor sewing repairs, like sewing on a button
personal grooming and care
light cleaning, like clearing and wiping off surfaces and dusting
carrying a tray, especially if you will be eating at a cafeteria
getting food from a buffet
operate an alarm clock
access phone numbers  both new and frequently used

I hope that gives you some ideas.  I'm sure a lot of this you can do with no
problems.  Going away to college is a huge learning experience for all the
students.  One of my roommates had never done her own laundry before.
Another had a maid at home and had never cleaned a thing.  They were both
sighted BTW.

Good for you for thinking ahead and being as prepared as possible!

Julie