[Blindtlk] Simple to use digital recorder

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue May 31 13:50:10 UTC 2011

Dear Bonnie,

I too, have one of these and it talks as well as having a small screen on it
to show the mode it is in.
It can record music, lectures, meetings or short memos or even do pod cast.
As you look at the front of the unit, with the screen at the top, there is a
round button in the lower half of the front panel.
It is a 4-way switch with a select or enter button in the middle of it.
On the left  and side of the unit is a little door for a small memory card
that can be added for storing music or added memory use.  There is also a
jack to plug in a set of ear phones on the left side near the top of the
unit.
On the top edge of the unit is a jack for an external microphone.  The unit
has both a built in microphone and speakers that are very good.
On the right hand edge of the unit, there are three buttons and from the top
going down they are: record, stop and
play.
On the back edge of the right hand side, there is a sliding switch that
turns the unit on or off by sliding it down for on, and up for off  There is
a little trick here for turning it off.  You need to slide the switch down
again until you hear a chime sound and then slide it up to the off position.
Failure to do this right means the unit is still on and using the battery.
One of the nice things is that when you turn it on, it chimes and a voice
says the battery level.
You can re-charge the batteries by connecting a special mini U.S.B. cable to
your lap top or computer and then you press and hold the stop button as you
plug it in to the bottom mini U.S.B. port on the bottom of the unit.  It
will then say," charging mode active."
You can also use that cable and connection to transfer data, music and pod
cast to and from the unit to your computer.
On the face of the unit, where the screen is, there are two thin buttons
just under the screen running across the face of the unit.
They are, the pod cast folder button on the left and the scenes button on
the right.
Just below the 4-way switch buttons are two more buttons which are the erase
button on the left and the recorder folder button on the right.
The are folders "A-to-E" and then folders for music and pod cast as well.

To record a memo , turn the unit on by sliding the switch down and wait to
hear the battery level is High or Middle. or low.
Now press the record button on the right side and you are recording.  Press
the stop button when you are finished.
Now you can press the play button to re-play what you recorded or you can
also use the select button in the center of the 4-way to do the same
thing.,, In act, you can use the left side 4-way switch button to go back to
the beginning of the recording or hit it twice to go back to a previous
recording or recordings.  If you hit the right side 4-way switch, to go to
the end of the selected memo or to advance to the next memo.
When it reaches the end of the memos, it will make a double chime sound and
wrap around to the beginning of your memos in that folder.
There are many other things it will or can do and I have not even used all
of them yet.
To free up folder space, you can erase memos one at a time or the whole
folder at once.
When in a memo, just hit the erase mode button and the hit the up button in
the 4-way switch and you will hear, " erase one file.  Then hit the select
button in the center and then the top 4-way button again, to hear "begin
erace one file"  and then the select button again and it is gone.
You can do all of this using just one hand too.
I use my unit every day to record memos at work and home.  I have even
recorded a couple of 2 hour long seminars on it and still have lots of room
and battery time left.

I hope this helps.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack
MV Transit Consumer Advocate