[Blindtlk] international cane travel

Brian Miller brian-r-miller at uiowa.edu
Wed Oct 5 23:04:50 UTC 2011

Hi John,

I've traveled all over the world, including many developing countries, using
my NFB long white cane and have emerged relatively unscathed.  There are
certainly challenges, A couple of things to consider --

First, be sure you have a spare cane with you, even if it's a folding or
telescoping cane, so in case yours breaks, you aren't stuck.

Secondly, be sure to bring extra cane tips, as you are likely to lose one or
two as you traverse uneven terrain, and you don't want to be scarmbling
around on the ground in chaotic situations looking for it.

Just take your time, keep your cool, and you should be fine.  It can be easy
to get rattled by the noise, the crowds, the uncertainty, but you can do it
with some common sense and an even keel.

Brian Miller