[Blindtlk] international cane travel

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 11 18:16:49 UTC 2011

Dear All,

As a world traveler, by virtue of being a Navy brat,.  I have had the
experience of traveling in snow and ice in Alaska and the tropical jungles
of Southeast Asia, Guam, Hawaii and Panama.  Throw in the swamps in Florida,
the deserts in California and the high mountains.
I have dealt with the traffic in Tokyo, Sidney, Moscow, Hong Cong and Paris.
In many other countries, the car is king and you better get out of the way
or get plowed under.
I think it goes back to an earlier time when only the rich could afford a
car and the rich made the rules.
In many places the streets are as nice as any you can find in the States and
in others, they are not much more that a goat trail through the bushes.
You have to be ready for all kinds of road surfaces and materials, such
things as sand, gravel, small rocks, cobble stones, packed earth, loose
earth and asphalt.
Crossing bridges can be an adventure too as they can be steel, wooden, made
of rope and bamboo, chains and planks and may come with or without
crocodiles, sharks or paronna fish underneath just in case you have a slip
and fall.
Don't forget the killer whales polar bears and maybe a jaguar or too that
might want to know what you are having for dinner.
Using a cane to travel can really have it's challenges and your arms and
wrist will get a real work out as the tip may tend to get caught on
everything, unless you are in a modern city setting.
I have had to walk down dirt roads slapping my cane against the banks or
tapping it along the edge of a drainage ditch to shoreline the edge of the
road.

Once in the monsoon season, I walked through a farmers flooded rice patty as
I could not tell the difference between it and the flooded road.
You never know when a cape buffalo may want to block your way or an
alligator might want to ask directions to the nearest watering hole.

The streets in Spain are very nice and there is a very large population of
Blind people there, especially in Barcelona.
when traveling in certain places always keep your cane handy, even if you
use a guide dog as your travel tool.  The guide dog can make a good
diversion if you are attacked by a lion or tiger.  While the dog is being
eaten, you and your cane can make a quick get away, unless the tiger or lion
is planning on using your white cane as a tooth pick after he is done with
you and the dog.  Grin!
For the most part, traveling in the worlds cities is mostly the same as in
the states.
In crowds, you choack up on the cane and dodge the people as best you can.
People, depending upon the culture, will show different degrees of respect
and curtesy, same as here.  People are people where ever you go and there
are good ones and bad ones.  There are some who will think nothing of
knocking you down and robbing you on the spot and others who will help pick
you up and care if you are hurt.
Travel there as you would travel here.  Don't wear or carry items that can
be snatched on the fly by thieves or purse snatchers.  Don't carry or wear
expensive looking clothes  or jewelry.  Don't flash allot of cash and split
it up and carry it in different places in case you are robbed they may not
get it all.
Carry an extra cane as if you break your cane, you may not be able to
replace it in a foreign land.
Take enough dog food for your dog or make sure that you can get the brand of
dog food in the place you are going.  a Guide dog with an upset tummy is no
fun for anyone.  Give your guide dog bottled water too.  If you need bottled
water, so does he to prevent getting certain diseases and parasites.

Make sure the address of your hotel is written don on a piece of paper in
your language as well as the language spoken in that country in case you
need directions to get back to it if you get lost.  Usually the hotel staff
will do this for you if you ask.
Watch out for the cab drivers as they can cheat you.  Give them the address
first and ask them how much to drive you there first, before you get in
their cab.  Don't be afraid to shop around for the best deal.  Ask the hotel
about how much the cabs charge for a normal trip and then use your better
judgment.
  Lock your valuables up in a room safer the hotel safe to prevent them from
being stolen.  Carry only what you need for the day plus 10%.
Button pockets or use safety pins to secure pockets from pick pockets and
check your pockets any time someone bumps into you.
Be ware of the "bump and stall" method of pocket picking where one person
accidentally runs into you from the front and another picks your pockets
from behind.  This is very popular in the U.K., France, Italy and the Far
East.  Beware of what and who is around you and look as if you are paying
attention to avoid being a victim.

Be careful of seemingly well meaning strangers as they may try to lead you
to a isolated spot so they can rob you.  Get good directions from a trusted
source such as a policeman, your hotel staff or the people at the place you
are looking to travel too.
Don't advertise that you are an American by wearing U.S. flags or symbols as
this can make you a target in some places.  If asked, tell them you are from
Canada.  Everyone loves the Canadians.

Be sure to keep up with the latest exchange rates for dealing with money
situations.
Talk to your hotel about places to avoid for your safety.  You don't want to
be caught in the wrong "hood" and wearing the wrong "colors."

I hope that some of this helps and don't be put off about that part
concerning the lions, tigers and bears.  I just made it up for the "oh
heavens" effect.
Just use the skills you have been taught and you will be fine.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.