[Blindtlk] a great article

chris nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 00:46:36 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

This reminds me of the saying used in the radio and TV world: if you
don't like what you hear on one station, change the station!
Similarly, if you don't like what you see in one organization, change
your affiliation (or lack thereof) in that organization. Now, I have
come out many times on this list in favor of a nonpartisan approach to
general blindness matters; that the NFB and ACB's civil war in the
1950's and 1960's shouldn't dictate our thoughts and beliefs today. I
have learned to take what I like about an organization and leave alone
what I don't. The NFB philosophy about blindness dictates most of its
policies and beliefs. I happen to like this philosophy, and believe
that the Council doesn't have that kind of philosophy about blindness.
Therefore, I have decided to be a Federationist in philosophy, meaning
that I believe in the Federation's philosophy on blindness, and like
most of the things the Federation does to better our lives. However, I
will simply not accept the argument that because I'm a Federationist,
I should like everything the Federation does and what its officers do
and say, and consequently not like the ACB. I've come under attack for
this view on other lists, one owned by the NFB and one owned by the
ACB. But understand something about me: I'm not one to change my
beliefs just because someone strongly disagrees with them. I posted an
article from the Forum to the NABS-L NFB list, in which the President
of the ACB, Mitch Pomerantz called Dr. TenBroek and Dr. Jernigan
"tyrants," saying that they believed that "a strong, centralized
organization lead by an all-powerfull President, was needed to
accomplish the goals of the Federation." Read the President's Message
in the June Braille Forum for more of what Mr. Pomerantz said on the
NFB's early leaders and the ACB split. You can find this on the
Braille Forum page on www.acb.org. In response to a post on that list
saying that I "was trying to convert us all to the ACB," I told
everyone, frankly, that "I have chosen to be a Federationist. However,
I have also chosen to be an informed one." For this reason, I am
working with a few other Federationists along with two ACB mentors to
create a bipartisan listserv, on which members can talk about
blindness related topics/issues/experiences without affiliation with
either the NFB or the ACB. I really wish I didn't have to do this,
that the members of listservs owned and operated by the organizations
could let go of the differences that plagued their respective
organizations fifty years ago, and talk about blindness without all
the petty arguments over the NFB or ACB. The unfortunate reality,
though, is while some of us can, some of us can't, and that some who
can't are often the leaders of the organizations in question. But back
to the issue at hand, I don't think we can possibly like everything an
organization does or says, and must weigh the pros against the cons.
Only then can we decide which organization has more pros for us
individually than cons, and we join that organization. For some
people, the cons of the Federation outweigh the pros of it, and they
join the Council. For others, it's the other way around. I don't think
we can like everything about any person or group in any situation in
life. We choose to vote for a person, but might not like some of the
things that person does when he/she is in a political or
organizational office. We like a sports team and/or player, but might
think some of the things they do are stupid. In conclusion,
everything, in my opinion, has pros and cons, and it is our job as
individuals to decide which outweighs which. We can't become zombies,
just going along with everything a certain person, group, or
organization does. Rather, we must think for ourselves, taking what we
like about an organization, deciding if that outweighs what we don't
like about the same organization, and either leaving the rest alone.
And, if we feel strongly about changing something, we must exercise
our right to freedom of speech, and advocate for change. It doesn't
get anybody anywhere to be angry about something. Instead, we need to
let our voice be heard and try to change it!

Chris

--
Chris Nusbaum

"The real problem of blindness is not the loss of eyesight. The real
problem is the misunderstanding and lack of education that exists. If
a blind person has the proper training and opportunity, blindness can
be reduced to a mere physical nuissence." -- Kenneth Jernigan

Visit the I C.A.N. Foundation online at: www.icanfoundation.info for
information on our foundation and how it helps blind and visually
impaired children in MD say "I can!"