[Blindtlk] Resolution that didn't pass about apple

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Sep 7 14:27:41 UTC 2011

Ray,

It's been so long since I've heard those resolutions now, I could very well be wrong.  If it is mostly the "Condemn and Deplore" language, I can understand
that.  Not everyone grew up in the 60's and 70's when "condemn and deplore" was everyday language in all resolutions, not just in the blindness field.
Since I did, "Condemn and Deplore" still kind of goes in one ear and out the other.  Times change.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 16:12:40 -0500, Ray Foret Jr wrote:

>Actually Steve, the first resolution did in fact contain the condemn and deplore language.

>What I think many who participated in the debate over both resolutions found highly offensive was the C&D language.  Now, let me see if I can offer a
solution which would work.  Take the language in the Google resolution we passed this year, apply it to the Apple situation and I think, by damn, we just
may have the beginnings of a truly workable way forward.  Commend Apple for what they have done so far, acknowledge frankly that there are still issues
and resolve to both praise Apple's efforts thus far and at the same time closely monitor, (within the limits of what is possible), furthering the good beginning
made.

> [...]

>Sincerely,
>The Constantly Barefooted Ray!!!

>Now a very proud and happy Mac user!!!

>Skype name:
>barefootedray

>Facebook:
>facebook.com/ray.foretjr.1

>On Sep 6, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Steve Jacobson wrote:

>> Joseph,
>>
>> As I recall, the resolution that passed primarily asked Apple to put in place some minimum accessibility standards.  I don't believe it even contained the
>> "Condemn and Deplore" language.  Since I am not an Apple employee, I cannot say for certain how Apple does these kinds of things, but it is most likely
>> not the accessibility team who determines what standards Apple follows or implements.  The fact that there is a good bit of hit or miss when buying apps
is
>> certainly not the accessibility team's fault, but if Apple is reviewing all of these apps it could likely at least note if an app is not accessible which I believe
you
>> also said.  Knowing what I know about apple, they might be working on this already, but they are extremely secretive, and I am not inclined to assume
that
>> any company is automatically working in my interest without having them explain what they are doing.  In another note you went to great lengths
expressing
>> your frustration with the control Apple exercises over its software.  Whether I agree with the control they exercise or not, why is it unreasonable to ask
that
>> they use some of their control to include accessibility?  This tight control is precisely why they have more power to implement accessibility than does
>> probably any other company.  Because of their control, we will have a difficult time getting accessibility in any alternative way if an important piece of
>> software is not accessible.
>>
>> You also keep using the Photo Shop analogy as showing how ridiculous it is to think that every application be made accessible.  I know of nowhere
where
>> it has been said that every application has to be accessible to every one of us.  There are different ways of implementing standards.  However, you also
>> seem to be forgetting that accessibility can also mean controlling font sizes and being compatible with magnifying software.  This could make some
software
>> accessible to some of us even if such software may not be something that a totally blind person would use.  I don't have any idea how Photo Shop
stacks
>> up on any of this, but the way you are using that example seems off base for this discussion.
>>
>> As I recall, the second resolution that was defeated condemned and deplored apple for giving an award to an electronic text that was not accessible.
You