[Blindtlk] an JAWS question

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sun Sep 25 02:28:07 UTC 2011

The virtual buffer is, I believe, the name JAWS uses for the mode which is
used to display content in web pages and PDF documents, based on information
supplied by Microsoft Active Accessibility and not by the off-screen model.
On a web page, while you are in the virtual buffer, keystrokes perform
navigation actions such as moving among headings, finding a button, next
text, etc.  When your reading takes you into an area where you can type or
otherwise interact with a web page, JAWS can automatically switch into Forms
Mode so that the keys no longer perform navigation functions.  The toggle
for the virtual buffer in JAWS is Insert-Z.  In Window-Eyes, this buffer is
called Browse Mode and the toggle is ctrl-shift-A.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls