[Blindtlk] Healthcare information survey

Madeleine Rothberg madeleine_rothberg at wgbh.org
Mon Aug 6 13:02:51 UTC 2012

Hi Mike,

I can understand that you might have survey fatigue! There are a lot of
surveys out there, and I've recently read that research shows response
rates are down for all kinds of surveys. So you are not alone.

But I thought I'd take a minute to explain why we think it is useful to
ask people with disabilities about their healthcare information needs and
preferences. You might be right, and we might find that people with
disabilities have the same healthcare information needs as all members of
society. If so, that is useful information and we can use it to advocate
for making all healthcare technology accessible.

Or it might be that people with disabilities have some concerns that
others don't have, or have different priorities. For example, we might
find that people who are deaf are very interested in an electronic system
for making appointments and checking test results, because it replaces
inaccessible phone calls. Or we might find that people who are blind have
a stronger need for electronic access to their own health records and to
health education information because printed information isn't accessible.
Unless we ask, we can't know for sure, so we decided to put this survey
together. We will use the results to prioritize our next step, making
accessible prototypes for some healthcare information tasks.

As always, we appreciate responses from those who have time and understand
that not everyone will participate.

Thanks again,
Accessible Designs for Personal Health Records Project staff