[Blindtlk] Question on what is the best screen-reader to use?

Nikki daizies304 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 16:59:03 UTC 2012

Thanks. It does.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Wunder
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2012 11:52 AM
To: 'Blind Talk Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] Question on what is the best screen-reader to use?

Hello Niki. You are asking not one but many questions. Let me answer the one
that perhaps I know the most about. People don't make five different screen
readers just so that they can have five different products and a lucrative
market to exploit. There are many screen readers because screen reader
manufacturers have decided to concentrate on what they see as unmet needs.
Some of them meet those needs more successfully than others. Sometimes we
are asked to choose between something that has lots of features and
something less expensive. If we can get away with something less expensive,
then this additional choice isn't a burden but a benefit.

I spent 30 years writing computer programs. Not a one of them met every need
that I wanted it to meet. Not a one of them completely satisfied the people
I was writing for. Sometimes what they wanted was contradictory. Perhaps
they wanted a program in a hurry with lots of features. They could have a
program in a hurry without too many features, or they could have a program
with lots of features that would take time to develop. This is the same
problem are screen reader manufacturers have.

Add to all of this the fact that technology is constantly changing, and you
can see that screen readers are always going to be behind. When they put a
lot of effort into developing something that could run Windows Vista, they
found that Windows Vista was not popular and before long they had to develop
for Windows 7. Now that Windows 7 has been out for a while, they are asked
to support Windows 8. Of course, none of us who still have windows XP want
them to do away with that kind of support, so again they have the challenge
of maintaining old operating systems and old programs while at the same time
trying to give blind people access to the latest and greatest. We don't just
want the latest and greatest so that we can keep up with the Joneses for
some kind of status. Very often we want the latest and greatest because that
is what people in business are using and we want jobs. There is no such
thing as staying in one place. One either moves forward with technology or
he or she falls behind. I wish that weren't so. My wallet wishes it weren't
so.

I hope this helps just a bit.

Gary