[Blindtlk] antivirus programs multiple antivirus programs

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 01:01:23 UTC 2012

Hi Nikki,

I would suggest that all computer users, blind or sighted, have an antivirus
program. I think it greatly increases the security of yourself online and
your computer. I use AVG, and, although it could improve in the area of
accessibility, I agree with various tech writers and security experts that
AVG is the best antivirus program on the market. I use the free version, as
do my sighted parents, and none of us have had any any issues with viruses
or other security issues. So, I think the free version will do enough for
your purposes, and besides, most computers can't handle the paid version.
The free version of AVG can be downloaded at www.avg.com. Note that you
might need a sighted person's help to set the program up, but after that you
should be good to go. Dialogs will periodically pop up saying that AVG needs
to update. Just hit the restart now button when you're ready, and your
computer will automatically restart and AVG will update. Another (supposedly
more accessible) option is Microsoft Security Essentials, although I don't
know anything about that program and therefore can't give you any
information on its accessibility or how good it is for security.

Hope this helps,

Chris