[Blindtlk] Encouraging Medical Students To Be Retina Doctors

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 21:31:32 UTC 2012

Johanna,

I don't have much perspective on this issue, as I am totally
blind and have been since birth.  In fact, I have gotten so used
to life without sight that when people ask me if I would want to
regain my sight if that was at all possible, I answer "No." Why?
I have gotten used to living without my vision and have learned
to adapt; it is the only life I have ever known.  Since I have
never had my vision, I can't imagine living with it.  Perhaps I
have the same problem of ignorance that my sighted peers have,
just in the opposite way; as my sighted peers can't imagine
living without vision and therefore have no idea how we (blind
people) do even the most routine tasks without vision, so I, as a
person who has been totally blind since birth, can't imagine
living with vision, and therefore don't know how sighted people
do even the most routine tasks with vision.  So to answer your
question, I really don't know what the benefits would be of
gaining my vision back, nor would I even want my vision back if
it were possible and I was given the choice.

I would advise you on one thing as you are preparing for your
presentation to the medical students.  I have noticed that a lot
of presentations given about vision loss itself and by
organizations which are either * for * the blind (I emphasize the
word "for" to distinguish organizations which are there to help
the blind and organizations like the NFB which are the blind
speaking for ourselves) place an emphasis on the "advantages" of
having vision and the "disadvantages" of life without vision.  As
a result, this (most of the time) creates the "imagine being
blind" mentality, and as a result of that (again, most of the
time) the people who hear these presentations start feeling sorry
for the "poor blind people." For example, see any of the
presentations/fundraisers put on by the Foundation Fighting
Blindness (FFB.) This creates the very misconceptions about
blindness and the very discrimination against the blind that
organizations such as the Federation are trying to fight! So,
although they're asking you to speak to them about the "reality
of vision loss" and the benefits of having vision in an effort to
inspire medical students to become interested in the area of
retinal medicine, I would be careful not to give them the
impression of the "helpless" blind, and make sure they're not
going into that field of study just because they think blindness
is the end of the world.  Don't get me wrong here; I'm not
condemning the study of the retinas and vision, in fact I think
it's a noble cause.  Blindness is, at the end of the day, a
disability, and a cure for it would be a good thing.  All I'm
saying (and all I think the NFB is saying too) is that blindness
isn't the end of the world, and people who are blind can still be
independent, conpetent, and productive members of our society.  I
just hope your audience doesn't come away thinking, "I should
really get into studying retinas so I can help those poor,
helpless blind people, and prevent that awful, unimaginable
handicap of blindness for other people." These are just my
thoughts, and I hope this helps you in some small way.  I'm sorry
I don't have more perspective on this, and I will leave the rest
of this thread up to those on the list who may have more
perspective on this issue.

Chris

Chris Nusbaum
Email and Google Talk/Keychat (on the BrailleNote) ID:
dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan