[Blindtlk] Encouraging Medical Students To Be Retina Doctors

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Wed Feb 22 03:03:00 UTC 2012

Desiree:

My immediate reaction is of course to jump to the defense of the NFB
and our affiliated training centers.  However, I don't think you
would buy it anyway, and that really isn't the point.

It seems to me that you are saying -- this is the way it is, and it
is going to be this way for a long time.  Indeed, this is true, until
you decide things need to be different.

Also, it seems to me that the system has convinced you of the
relative worthlessness of blind persons and what we have done for
ourselves.  For this I am sorry.  You don't trust blind travel
teachers, and condemn a system developed by blind persons.  I realize
that our approach isn't for everybody, and shouldn't be the only
approach out there, but for many it truly does work -- it changes
people's lives.  However, the system has drummed into your head that
blind people are less, and you, and your parents have bought into it.

I know you won't see it my way -- and I may not have all of it right
-- but I hope you do think about what I have said.

Dave