[Blindtlk] Encouraging Medical Students To Be Retina Doctors

Chris Nusbaum dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 13:08:12 UTC 2012

Wow! Sheila and Desiret, I'm very sorry to hear you had to go
through all that! Hearing these stories makes me thank God that I
have been so fortunate to have a cooperating school system which
(most of the time) willingly provides the accomodations I need,
an accepting family who accepts and encourages my independence
(in fact, sometimes they insist on my being independent in doing
whatever skill it is when I don't really want to be,) and
teachers who have accepted me as another student in the class,
not just "the blind kid." But what stories! I really feel for you
guys, and I'm sorry to hear these stories.  I also hope that you
don't feel isolated and stop interacting with your fellow blind
people in the NFB because you think we'll judge you if we hear
these stories.  Yes, sometimes people in the Federation do judge,
and I don't really think we should do that so I don't hang around
with those people (I'm not naming names,) but this isn't true for
the NFB at large or the majority of its members.  We're not only
an advocacy group, but I think we're also a support network; a
mentoring network of sorts.  That's what I love about the NFB;
I've found the support network that the NFB provides to be
comforting in hard times that we deal with, because people can
just tell us "Yeah, it sucks; I've been there, too." An example
of this is when I was having the problem with the guy putting
pretzels in my water bottle as a "practical joke," and I put it
up on the NABS list.  I needed to vent, and talk with other blind
people who could empathise with me and say "You're not alone."
That's the beauty of the NFB lists, in my opinion.  I hope this
makes sense, and I hope you don't isolate yourselves from the
blind community just because you went through these expwiences;
the NFB is a great network of support, so I encourage you to use
it to your advantage!

Chris

Chris Nusbaum
Email and Google Talk/Keychat (on the BrailleNote) ID:
dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com
Skype: christpher.nusbaum3 or search for Chris Nusbaum

nuisance."
-- Kenneth Jernigan