[Blindtlk] a question about getting lost

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 28 12:57:23 UTC 2012

Dear All,

You were doing the vary thing you needed to do to orient yourself by
checking the room number on the door.
Your aid thinks like a sighted person and not like a Blind one.
As a friend of mine once told me about getting lost, " Lost Hell, I am just
exploring in a different direction."
  The important thing is finding your own way again.
I will say this.  When asking directions, use, or ask for specific turn
directions such as a right or left, or go north or south and such.
Make use of landmarks to help confirm your directions and distance traveled.
Follow the shore line when possible and make use of your ears to pick up on
sounds but be mindful that not all sounds are always going to be there all
of the time as whatever makes that sound may move, shutdown or operate
intermittently.
The skill of travel as a Blind person is always a work in progress and we
need to use the facts and skills we know to learn and find out the things we
do not know.
The best advice I can give is to associate yourself with people who have
good travel skills, ask questions and do what the other successful people
are doing and always seek to improve yourself.  Do that and you will never
need to worry about getting lost.  Treat every place you go as a good place
and learn from it.  Don't be afraid to ask for directions or help if you
need it.
As my people claim, the reason we Jews wandered for 40 years in the
wilderness was the men were too stubborn to ask for directions.