[Blindtlk] REDBOX DISCRIMINATES AGAINST THEBLIND BYFAILINGTOPROVIDE ACCESSIBLE SELF-SERVICE KIOSKS

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 16 17:38:42 UTC 2012

Dear Mike,

The ADA strictly forbids a person from charging a fee for someone who uses a
service animal.  They can only charge for damages actually done
to property and not what the animal "might" do.
specific protections were placed in the ADA to prevent Businesses and people
from discriminating against  guide dog users in a "round about way" by
charging them fees to discourage GD users or to get a fee for nothing.
Other places, such as restaurants, commonly try to tell us that it is
against the local Health Code Laws for the dog to come in their place, but
the ADA is a federal civil Rights Law and Federal trumps State or Local laws
or regulation .
As for Red Box, they are offering a service to the Public, just like any
store by inviting the Public in, they must comply with ADA.
Just like a physical store, They are in the wrong if they make the doors so
small that some one in a wheelchair can not get in or some one who is fat,
so it is discrimination for them to use a technology that does not allow
Blind people to access their services that other people can access through
the benefit of sight.
If we do not push on the limits of the envelop now, then we will
increasingly find ourselves effectively locked out of more and more things,
just because no one pushes back.
I use alternative techniques every day in my job.  It is we that must define
the access models that we can use and drive the issue or others will surely
define it for us and we will be stuck with what they give us or are willing
to give us out of the goodness of their hearts.
If the Public is invited to use a place or service, it will likely fall
under the ADA and we must speak up now or be left in the dust of history.
The Blind were mostly left out of the ADA regulations and standards because
some Blind people and organizations paid little attention to it and it's
crafting.  We sat silent as others drew up the ADA, mostly concentrating on
the physical access for those in wheelchairs.  We missed the boat and never
got an oar in the water until after it was passed and signed back in 1990.
If we had, business and the government would have been allot more "blind
friendly" today than they are.  Here it is 21 years after the signing of the
ADA and even my own state of Florida still does not have its State web site
fully accessible to it's citizens or employees.  Blind supervisors, that
work for the state still have to get one of their sighted workers to put in
their work hours for them in order to get paid and to pay their people.
Access to the web site is still limited to the blind and the state has known
about this issue for over 20 years.
The fixes are known and available, but the state still does not require all
contracts to mandate access for us when the state buys new software programs
and equipment and we get stuck in jobs we can not do for lack of access, no
promotions because we can not do what our other sighted counterparts can do,
because of lack of independent access and blind citizens can not access the
goods and services their tax dollars are being taken for.  It is not fair,
it is damdable and it is unequal.

We have made the argument for ATM machines with the banks, and won, so why
not this?  We should be able to use Red Box ourselves and not need to have
someone sighted do it for us.  We should be able to keep all of our
information and transactions private and confidential, if we want.
Alternative techniques are for the most part are , meant as "work around",
to having the direct access that vision provides the sighted.  They are all
good, but there is a difference and they can not always be as effective or
as useful to us.
Touch screens and their use are becoming more and more common today.
Dials and switches and raised buttons are being totally replaced by touch
screens and Pezos electric ceramic switches such as the flat button displays
on microwaves and the like.  Every kind of appliance are being increasingly
equipped with them.
Unless tactilely marked, they are impossible or difficult for the blind to
use and as more and more information is required to be inputted into these
machines, the menus become impossible to use by us.
If Apple can incorporate "talking touch screen" access into all of their
products, then so can other businesses, Red Box is no exception.
We have case law behind us with the ATM companies and with Target and
others.  So far the Law has sided with us in most cases, the only exception
being the Las Vegas airport kiosk, but I think that even that will be turned
our way soon.
The ADA also demands that as new technologies come along that older ones be
replaced.  We will see things change, it will just take some time, money and
some pushing on the envelop.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
Past Chair, ADA Advisory Board, Palm Beach County Florida
Retired Nuclear/Aerospace Materials Engineer
Builder of the Lunar Rovers and the F-117 Stealth Fighter