[Blindtlk] why is it important to join an organization of theblind?

Gary Wunder GWunder at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 17 18:36:18 UTC 2012

Thank you ma'am.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Michelle Medina
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:55 AM
To: gwunder at earthlink.net; Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Blindtlk] why is it important to join an organization of
theblind?

Gary,
It may have been long, but this is a much appreciated response and
sharing of your wisdom! Thank you!!
Michelle

On 1/17/12, Gary Wunder <GWunder at earthlink.net> wrote:
> [...]
> promise, be harnessed to help us as it helps others, or whether, because
we
> are a small population, this same computer technology will be used to
> exclude us. The outcome of this struggle is as important as my ability to
> compete at a job, my ability to enjoy entertainment at home, my ability to
> check in at airports and check out at supermarkets, and even my ability to
> live at home independently. Take away my independent access to home
> appliances--my ability to set the temperature on my oven, regulate the
> temperature in my house, and operate the controls on my washer and dryer,
> and soon I will require the services of a personal care attendant or be in
> nursing home because I will be unable to take care of my most basic needs.
> Even the option of a home care attendant or a nursing home may depend on
> whether or not I can afford them.
>
> My job as one human being is to educate myself; my more difficult job is
> embrace the education of society to the potential technology brings and to
> the problems it can create if not properly managed. Individually I must be
> an informed voice, but only collectively do I have a voice capable of
> reaching the nation and the world. Individually I do not know how to bring
> about the changes in design and engineering that make things talk, produce
> braille, or provide a way for me to navigate using touch or voice;
> collectively I can be a part of giving scholarships to young people, some
of
> whom will dedicate their professional careers to learning about such
things
> and being a part of developing technology that includes me and others who
> are blind. Individually I do not know how to craft laws to help us, but
> collectively I can help to grow and employ the expertise of those who do.
> Individually I do not know how to execute a successful lawsuit on behalf
of
> myself and others who suffer from technological discrimination;
collectively
> I can be a part of hiring that help and articulating to the legal system
the
> goals and aspirations of blind people who are committed to the forward
> progress we have enjoyed and to categorically reject the idea of once
again
> being consigned to idleness and inactivity.
>
> It is argued that sighted people do not unite as a group, and that, if
blind
> people truly want equality, we must turn away from the reliance on a group
> and the expectation other blind people will join with us. Because of their
> numbers and a society which will quite reasonably be oriented to them,
> sighted people have no need to unite on the basis of sight. They do,
> however, unite for other reasons. Wealthy people unite with others to see
> that policies do not encourage and support the taking of their wealth.
Those
> [...]
well
> we make the case to other blind people for moving beyond our comfort zone
> and actively addressing those areas in which we are weak or scared or
> paralyzed by our inexperience with the world.
>
> I am a member of the National Federation of the Blind because I realize it
> has been an important part in helping me live a bit of the American dream.
> am a part because I want to pay it forward and to share the blessings I've
> been given with others. I know that as important as a positive mental
> attitude and philosophy are, they are little more than words if there
isn't
> some kind of active effort to transform them into actions. Wanting to feed
> the starving is more than wanting--it is doing something to advance that
> cause--donating money, growing food, building roads, and buying vehicles.
> None of this is accomplished by remaining on the sidelines and being an
> observer, even if an informed one; it is accomplished by a resolution to
do
> something and then by following through on that resolution.
>
> The Federation, for all the pride I take in her, is not a luxury liner
> capable of being guided and run by a few and on which many may ride in
> comfort. Instead my Federation is a canoe, a ship that can carry a few,
but
> needs every person who can to be at the ores pushing us along, steering us
> in the direction we want to go, and helping us avoid the obstacles that
> would break our frail craft if not maneuvered with skill, intelligence,
and
> the support of a God and a public who wants the best for us. Blind
> Americans, just like sighted Americans, can make the choice as to whether
or
> not to be involved, but the choice they make has consequences for all of
us.
> The more people we have who are active rowers of our canoe, the more each
of
> us who row have time to do other things and the more likely we are to
> succeed. Our mission is a noble one that argues for our own independence
and
> for the continued prosperity of our nation. I believe it is so important
> that we dare not sit on the sidelines. I have spent enough of my life
being
> told to observe and weight. When I have a choice, I will choose
> participation, service, and the knowledge that, come what may, I have
tried.
> This is why I am a part of the Federation. This is why I ask others to be
> part. I don't want to whine and I don't want to preach. I want to be
> grateful for what I have, to repay those who have helped to make it come
> true, and to pay it forward for those who want the same kind of future I
> want. I ask for the energy that others can bring in charting that course

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindtlk_nfbnet.org/michellem86%40gmail.co

Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet
confinement of your aloneness
to learn anything or anyone
that does not bring you alive
is too small for you.