[Blindtlk] blind-driver cars; insurance; entitlement

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 19 22:09:05 UTC 2012

Blind Cars and entitlements
I am in agreement on some things and not on other.
We as the NFB, are fighting for everyone's entitlements that want them and need them, and I agree if we do not need them, then let the government know, so that the money goes back to help others.
Myself, yes I do own my own business, am i making over the minimum wage or even a decent living at it, right now. NO!
Will I in the future, I don't know.  But I still get my disability check, I get medicare, and also my husband's insurance only because some of my doctors and issues since I am a transplant patient, my regular insurance doesn't have my doctors or even my durable medical supplies, I did at one point have Medicaid, I don't need it any more so I stopped it.
Blind drivers this was to show that if one day we can get to drive like everyone else, why not, I wouldn't be driving again myself, but that is because I used to drive. I only lost my vision in 2001 when I was in my 30s, and believe me driving is more convenient to get where you want to go, and not wait every year or so to get re-certified to use the access-a-ride in my area. It is not like I am going to see again.
The government or local counties need to get a life and when the doctor says blind, it is blind and leave it like that.
The whole issue with the Blind Driver Challenge was to challenge a car maker to make an accessible car, if we can get a company or a college/university like we did to make it, then we can show the other manufacturers like sony, canon, maytag, frigidare (I know I spelled that wrong) anyway, that they can make there appliances accessible as well.
Even if they make it as a standard for the sighted community, not everyone who starts out seeing will continue to see well, people get older, there eyesight or even other disabilities come into play.
These things should be to all and not to some.
Insurance yeah, I get upset about things like proving or trying to get accessible glucometers and strips for someone who is blind and the insurance companies don't have it in there formularies.  Believe me, blind or not, I was on dialysis for over 3 years, while I was losing my vision and my husband's insurance didn't cover the local dialysis center, I had to travel almost 2 hours every other day on paratransit, back and forth to the centers that were out of my area, instead of going to one that was maybe 5 minutes away, and the reason it took 2 hours on paratransit, was because I wasn't the only one on the route and at times, I got really sick.
One day taking me home it took almost 3 hours, because of the driver's schedule and I passed out.
Blind people are not the only ones who have issues. But, since I am blind, I will stand with the NFB, I don't agree with everything, because not everything pertains to me personally.
NFB doesn't hold a gun to anyone head and says you have to agree with us.  Dr. Maurer and everyone else will say the same thing.
I'd rather have a militant, radical organization fighting for me, then one that doesn't do anything.
JMO.
Leading the Way in Independent Travel!

Cheryl Echevarria
http://www.echevarriatravel.com