[Blindtlk] Why do we advocate?

Reese atlanticstar1 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 00:18:29 UTC 2012

Thanks everyone for your take on this subject.  I guess it is the sign of
the times.  However, I can't help but notice my neighbors as they walk by to
get to their house, that they still don't say hello.  Now there were a
couple of girls who lived to the left of me that would say hello whenever I
would take the guide dog out to do her business.  So if I didn't have the
guide dog with me they probably wouldn't have said anything to me at all.
Go figure.

Reese

----- Original Message ----- Gary, I think you're right.  But, this is not
limited to blind people.
There are a lot of sighted people who don't go out of their way to meet and
know their neighbors.

Since eye contact is very important to sighted people, and since some may be
uncomfortable getting to know us, since eye contact may not be there, maybe
it's up to us to extend ourselves and try a little harder to meet neighbors,
if we want to know them.  Maybe, if a neighbor says hello, we could stop and
say hi and ask their name.  I'm guilty of not doing that, but I really
should.  From that, next time they say hello, we could say hello and use
their name.  It might be a way of opening a line of communication between
neighbors.

Cindy