[Blindtlk] How to find shared accommodation

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 25 13:27:44 UTC 2012

Dear Sir,

You can check with the housing offices of colleges and universities in the
area around where you want to live as there are always cheap places to live
and that you can share.
Also, It is illegal for any one to deny you a place to live just because you
are Blind.  You are covered under the Fair Housing Act and should contact
your local office of Equal Opportunity and file a complaint for housing
discrimination.
Students  very often share apartments with common areas such as kitchens,
living rooms and the like and you would have your own bedroom and possibly
your own bathroom.
Also you would only be responsible for your part of the rent, if your
roommate moves out.  Make sure of this before you sign a lease.
Tell the college housing office that you are a new student.
Another place is an area around a hospital, especially if it is a teaching
hospital.
The young students, doctors and nurses that are studying there are always
looking for roommates and rents are usually low.

I hope this helps you.

David Evans and GD Jack.
.