[Blindtlk] beware the inaccessible soda machines!

Aleeha Dudley blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 01:26:30 UTC 2012

Hello All,
This evening, I was in a Burger King and saw something that I have never seen before. The traditional soda machine with separate buttons for each soda as well as the ice was replaced with a system that had one spout for all drinks and a touchscreen interface. The machine was completely inaccessible and I had to have sighted assistance to get my drink rather than simply asking which button corresponded to the soda that I wanted. I was upset to see this as I believe it is a considerable step back in mainstream accessibility. I was wondering if anyone else has encountered these machines and if so, are there any sort of accessible options?
Thanks,

Aleeha