[Blindtlk] this one aide is driving me crazy? how should ireact?

David Evans drevans at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 7 16:05:02 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I think that the best approach is to tell the aide that you need to talk to
them about a problem you are having.
Have a sit down talk with them and ask them to just listen and let you
explain before they answer.
Be polite but firm.
Explain that when you travel it is important for you to encounter objects
along your path of travel as they act as landmarks and navigational aids as
you travel.
That you need time to process the information you get from your cane and to
react.  Interrupting you and your train of thought, does not help you in the
processing and he such wait until you ask for help or clearly demonstrate
that you are in a situation you can not handle.
He is not going to be around all of the time in your life and that you need
the practice in overcoming your own problems, in your own way.
Tel him that you appreciate his concern for your safety, but constant
corrections from him, before you even have a chance to locate and deal with
a problem, does not help your ability to travel and problem solve on your
own.
You need a chance to fail or succeed before he intervenes.
I think that a real sit down talk with him is the best first step in getting
this problem solved.
If it does not work, then take the next step and go to his supervisor and
talk to them about the issue.
Going over his head to his supervisor, first, pretty much are burning the
bridge behind you with this person.
Your handling of this sensitive situation needs to be progressive and step
by step.
Never make an enemy, if you can help it.  It is always better to make a
friend instead.
You do not need to let this person walk all over you, but you do need to use
a sensitive touch in dealing with this person.

David Evans, NFBF and GD Jack.
MV Transit Consumer Advocate