[Blindtlk] owning a vehicle

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 10 23:23:27 UTC 2012

If true, we should modify the law.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:blindtlk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Julie J.
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2012 2:28 PM
To: Blind Talk Mailing List
Subject: [Blindtlk] owning a vehicle

Heya all!

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about federal laws that have changed
in the past year or so regarding having to have a drivers license to
purchase a vehicle?

I just bought a car for my son, who is not quite old enough to drive yet.
I've been looking for a car for him for a few months because the sort of car
we wanted is hard to come by and sells within a couple of days when they are
available.  I didn't want to pass up a good car at a good price so I bought
it a bit before he will actually be able to drive
it.   Anyway I was told that I cannot purchase a vehicle without a
driver's license.   If I understood correctly I can have the title in my
name only, but the bill of sale requires a drivers license number or they
can't sell you the car.  This was claimed to be a federal law that went into
effect January  of 2011.  My husband who has a drivers license was there and
I used that so I could purchase the car, but I'm still a bit irritated by
the whole thing.

What do you all think?
Julie