[Blindtlk] getting around a doctor's office

Hyde, David W. (ESC) david.hyde at wcbvi.k12.wi.us
Thu May 24 12:51:23 UTC 2012

Navigating a doctor's office is no different from getting around any other place. If you are just starting out, taking someone's arm is a useful solution. It may not be the best solution for you. I have a doctor in a big clinic. When I get to the reception area, when they call my name, I tell the nurse to talk. Most of them have no problem with that. I follow them using a cane. If I am having a discussion with them, it is easier to take their arm. I still use a cane when I do this. It gives me some control, and finds those things which they may not see.

Independence is desirable, and important. It does not mean the same thing to all of us and may differ depending upon the situation. Finally, it may not always mean the same thing to you, depending upon what you're doing.