[Blindtlk] Questions about embossers...

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 9 00:40:05 UTC 2012

Hello, James. I have the Juliet Pro and it is a keeper. I cannot compare it
with any other machine; I only have one embosser.

I think the Juliet is good for two reasons. When you preach I am guessing
you will want single pages--brailled on one side. It is faster to flip than
to flip and slide as one does in double-sided reading. I am also thinking
you will want to emboss on both sides when you do longer things such as
books.

I have found the Juliet Pro to be highly reliable and maintenance free. You
will need a grade two translator if you want grade two Braille. Duxbury is
the industry leader. If it is too costly, there are less expensive
alternatives. The trade-off is that they require you do more work to format
your document using Braille conventions. Duxbury looks at many print formats
and automatically determines how you will likely want them in Braille.

I suggest that long embossing sessions will make a good time to go to a
quiet place and meditate about next week's sermon while this one takes shape
back in your office. Embossers are noisy and they can shake a table. I would
have a table that is separate from any fragile devices such as computers and
disk drives.

Warmly,

Gary