[Blindtlk] Running While Blind, How to Link to Guide

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Sun Sep 2 12:01:36 UTC 2012

I generally run with my teenage son and he is several inches taller than
me! *smile*  I don't think touching his shoulder will work.  I don't
hold his elbow in a traditional sighted guide technique.  We sort of
hook our fingers, not like holding hands because it's only the fingers
and much looser. It works for the short bits that I run at my slow
pace.  I also prefer this method over using a rope because of my foot
injury.  I don't have the same range of motion in my ankle that I used
to, which seriously affects my balance.  If I feel like I'm going to
stumble I can grip tighter so he can help me regain my balance.  I used
to run with my guide dog, but had to give that up because of the balance
problem.

Julie