[Blindtlk] devices was RE: introduction

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Sep 4 02:06:42 UTC 2012

Hi, Chris,

I love all the technology, but there hasn't been anything to replace what
the optacon does.  My husband and I have two of them, one at home, and I
actually have one at work.  It's great for spot-checking, and I use it to
mark signature lines for placing the signature stamp for auths and for
paying bills.  A scanner would slow me down, and can't pick up on the
details of a page the way one can with an optacon.  My HICF forms at work
don't scan well, and when the biller writes FINAL on the bill, I can find
that very easily with the optacon.

At home, I use it to read round medicine bottles, and it's also great for me
to check a page format to make sure my page is how I want it to look.

I also use it to check my signature, and to make sure my pen is writing.

On the job, if I didn't have it, I would need to use reader services.  I can
read hand printing and some cursive with it.

The down-side of it is that it did take a learning curve and is definitely
slower.  Scanning software is wonderful for reading a lengthy document or
volume of printed material and documents, but the optacon gives you a
real-time look at what is on a page.

Anyone who has used one more than likely would like to see them make a
comeback.